Monday, January 13, 2014

And a Slow Start to the New Year - blogwise, that is!

(Alfred: As I compose this, Ruairí, Martine and Catherine are on the verandah, eating Vacherin on fresh baguette and drinking a 2009 Bordeaux. Truly, the life of an expat in Asia is a tough experience. But when your mother is willing to pack the following into her luggage from Ireland, it helps:


  • Cheeses (namely, Vacherin, Gruyere, St Agur, Parmesan, Cendré and Cheddar)
  • Cashew nuts
  • Brazil Nuts
  • Salted almonds (six cans)
  • 2 hammocks
  • Knife sharpener
  • Ginger grater
  • Furry hot water bottle


I should point out that the temperature today was 30 degrees but Martine still requested a hot water bottle for those chilly 15-degree nights!)

Apologies all around - Christmas was enjoyably busy and since then ... well, I'm not sure why exactly I neglected my blogging duties but I obviously did. Lots has happened - I start my work with AVIS tomorrow, I have cooked with a traditional Lao rice steamer, traditional Lao charcoal stove, traditional Lao pestle and mortar, traditional Lao (Alfred: Oh, give over!) .. well, a lot of cooking. And my very first attempt at sticky rice turned out perfectly!! So pleased!

Anyway, this short entry is more to wish everyone a Happy New Year from Alfred, Martine and myself and to promise a proper update in the near future!!

(Alfred: Oh, and Asterix ... ah, it can wait until the next entry, too good to waste on a throwaway remark).

No comments: