Monday, August 11, 2008

Countdown begins!

So, all the training is now over and the final countdown has begun! I am heading off to Germany on Thursday 14th August so I have to pack everything I need for Rwanda and for Germany and figure out how to manage the overlapping items.

The training in Birmingham was absolutely fantastic: there was a P2V course (Preparing to Volunteer) which I did quite a while ago but on 16th-20th July I did a SKWID (SKills for Working In Development) course which was probably the best training I have ever done in my life. Then I did a Teacher Development Course 1st - 5th August - that was tougher and maybe not as relevant to the actual job I'll be doing in Rwanda but, again, I learned a huge amount.

I have been getting quite a few emails from volunteers already in Rwanda which has been very helpful and there is a VSO Rwanda group on Facebook - reading all the previous discussions and messages has been very illuminating! My main concern now is exactly what clothes to bring as I gather I will need to dress quite formally a lot of the time (meetings, school visits etc). I figure I'll bring enough to start with and then buy stuff in Kigali when I get there. My other main concern is that my passport is still in the Rwandan Embassy in London and I need it for a Thursday morning flight!!

If you would like to contribute to my fundraising for VSO, please visit my site at www.mycharity.ie/event/ruairi and a huge 'Thank You' to all those who have already contributed!!

No comments: