Thursday, May 27, 2010

I thought time was a constant - how come it seems to be running faster all of a sudden??

Oh boy - lost another day today when I had to attend the local secondary school's annual celebration of their patron saint St Philippe Neri. A lovely day, some great photos, some of which I will get posted soon-ish (Alfred: you gotta see the acrobatic team's attempt to dive through a burning hoop - awesome!), interesting food and so on. But that's another round of meetings cancelled until next week and I only have nine working days left before I am supposed to officially finish. Have a nasty feeling June 14th is not going to be my last working day after all!!



But got to see one of my favourite people in the world last night - Jane Keenan, former VSO volunteer who lived in Butare when I arrived and was basically my guardian angel during the first few difficult months. She is in the middle of the selection process to become an Army nurse in England, which was fascinating in itself! Jean, her boyfriend, was also there for a bit which was also great as I haven't seen him in ages.



I managed to get my June article for COMHAR sent off just about in time (I hope)- I may translate this one for the blog: it was about the meanings of the names for the different months in Kinyarwanda (Alfred: my favourite is 'the month of the burned lion', closely followed by 'the month that hates old cows' and 'the month of nakedness'). Those of you with Irish can read my articles on my other blog http://www.agashinguracumu.blogspot.com/ - the June one will not be posted until the magazine is published.



What else? Anyone out there know how to teach basic data analysis (exam results etc) to a group of people when some of them do not understand what an average is?

No comments: