Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Tuesday 24th March 2009: Day 199 in Rwanda (again!)

Please note that VSO is in no way connected with or responsible for the content, comments and observations in this blog: these are solely my own in a personal capacity.

I obviously lost count somewhere - went onto one of these online calculator thingies to check that today actually was my 200th day in Rwanda - and it isn't!! Just as well - it wasn't a day you want to mark an anniversary with. Schools really don't want me calling around during the exams (which is understandable enough) and my boss keeps getting called away to Kigali for meetings which is driving both of us crazy. The news about redeployment of district staff to the sector offices seems to have paralysed people: out of the 42 people ten are to be moved .... at some stage. Doesn't do anything for one's concentration at work!!

Meanwhile I have been trying to cook the chickpeas I bought in Kigali. Brought them to the boil and soaked them overnight, then cooked them for about an hour this morning and another 45 minutes at lunch. Still not cooked. Put them on again tonight when I had made my soup and forgot to put in enough water! Alexandré came running in to drag me out but they had pretty much welded to the bottom of the pot by the time he figured out this wasn't some sort of strange muzungu recipe. Not sure I can salvage the pot!

Good news is I got my St Patrick's Day pics uploaded on Facebook (same ones as here plus a few extra) and nicked a few really nice ones from Paula's page too!

Meanwhile, here is the Kinyarwandan homework I have been working on tonight - reminds me of teaching Irish in First Year!

Amazina yanjye ni Ruairí. Nkora mu ibiro by’akarere ka Gisagara. Nkora mu ibiro by’uburezi, umuco n’imyidagaduro. Mfite imyaka mirongwine n’icyenda. Buri weekend, njya i Butare cyangwa i Kigali. Weekend yashize, nagiye i Kigali. Nahuye nishuti yanjye Steve i Remera. Twagiye mu kabari. Umupimyi aratubaza ‘Mufata iki?’ Namusubije ‘Nfata Primus n’ishuti John afata Mutzig.’ Nyuma y’amasa abiri, twasubiye mu rugo kuryama.

See what you can make of that!!!

No comments: