Tuesday, June 23, 2009

June 23rd 2009: Bees' Knees

Please note that VSO is in no way connected with or responsible for the content, comments and observations in this blog: these are solely my own in a personal capacity.

THANKS ANDY!
In response to my Facebook post, Andy Crow suggested I be called 'Ruairí Attenborough'. Thanks Andy - that probably accounts for the swarm of bees that invaded my house this afternoon. This is the SECOND time this has happened - a swarm of bees looking for a des. res. to set up house in and they choose ME! Unfortunately, my supplies of insecticide spray were rather limited this time so I put a rolled-up copy of COMHAR to good use and whacked about a hundred of the buggers to death. I also rang my moto driver and told him to pick me up some insecticide in Butare and drop it in on his way home. (Alfred: as Ruairí writes this, an ant carrying a dead bee is trying to climb UP his curtain. The bee is about twice the size of the ant. Fair play.) When I got home the bees had vanished. Ruairí 2 Bees 0 (see post from earlier this year for details of the previous fixture).


MATTHEW SHARDLAKE RULES!!
If you like historical thrillers, I cannot recommend the Matthew Shardlake series enough (Author: C. J. Sansom). Set in the reign of Henry VIII, amazing stuff.

INTERESTING RWANDAN EVENING
Enock recounted again (but in more detail) surviving the Interahamwe attack on his tour group in the safari park in southern Uganda. Joseph described leaving university to join the RPF with his four brothers in the late 1980s, the disastrous invasion of 1991 when they lost their six senior officers in the first few days and a few of the later events (including the capture of Byumba). All his brothers died in the war, he is the only surviving male member of his family. We had an interesting ten minutes or so analysing the parallels between Kagame and Bonaparte (I am tutoring Joseph for his forthcoming History A-Level examination!).

COMBINATIONS
Mutzig+ red wine = bad combination
Mango waragi + Dairy Milk = good combination
(Alfred: ha ha - wait until he wakes up tomorrow morning at 0530 - it's 2342 now - and see if he still thinks it was a good idea!!!!)

No comments: