Saturday, September 6, 2008

Away we go!

And so the day has arrived. My flght leaves Dublin at 1535 today and I arrive in Kigali around teatime tomorrow. I will have around two or three weeks of training and preparation in Kigali before I head out for my placement in Gisagara (see my website Rwanda page for a map!). Feeling both excited and apprehensive at the same time – I remember as a child going to the Aran Islands in summer to stay with my grandparents with no electricity and being sent to the well with buckets for water (though at least that water was clean and didn’t need to be sterilised!) so it’s not like it can’t be done; but as my friends and family all know, I’m very much a laptop/gadget/TV kind of guy so that’s going tonbe quite an adjustment.

A few days ago I came across a blog by a guy called Bruce Upton who has been working as an Education Management Adviser in Rwanda since January – exactly the same job description I have (http://bruceswanderings.blogspot.com ). It has been a major source of information (and also a bit intimidating – I intend keeping a blog but Bruce’s is SO comprehensive and detailed and well-written, I will have to pull out all the stops!) and made me aware of what does and doesn’t work in Rwanda!

I have been told that I will have internet access in my office, so I hope to keep in regular touch, either through email or blog or both. Pictures will depend on whether or not I have a broadband connection but I will be in Butare and Kigali from time to time so hope to have better access there. Meanwhile, I’d love to hear from people from time to time but please bear in mind I may not be able to answer all emails individually!

Finally, I got a few emails in the last few days asking whether my fundraising is still going on. It certainly is – and thanks again to all those who already contributed. For those who would like to help me reach my revised target, please visit www.mycharity.ie/event/ruairi and follow the instructions there. All contributions welcome!

No comments: