Sunday, September 28, 2008

Friday 26th September: Day Twenty in Rwanda

Please note that VSO is in no way connected with or responsible for the content, comments and observations in this blog: these are solely my own in a personal capacity.

Another day to kill. Cybercafe, maybe call out to Gisagara again to pick up some more things – especially my French dictionary and grammar book. There is a party in Kigali this weekend: Catherine Devine – one of the Irish VSO volunteers is having a hooley. Tina might go up for it – she probably needs a break from me at this stage! My family and friends will know how relaxed and affable I am when kept hanging around for ages with absolutely nothing to do!! Tina has been doing her best to be positive and cheerful but we have run out of things to do and say and discuss: we’re both quite work-orientated people so this enforced laziness is not doing either of us any good.

I’m not sure when I am going to get to post my blog so I will take this opportunity to wish all my nephews a very Happy Birthday – lá breithe faoi shéan is faoi mhaise a Phádraic, a Choilm agus a Iain! Bíodh lá iontach agaibh cibé lá a bhíonn an ceiliúradh mór!

I also know I promised to post stuff in Irish occasionally (mainly so Alfred can’t read any of the more sensitive comments – for all his other accomplishments, linguistic diversity isn’t one of them!). For those of you whose capability in this area is less than optimum (you can see I’ve been practising my civil service jargon) you will need to find a translator!

Short version of today: breakfast, visited Butare Cathedral (biggest in Rwanda, see pictures, probably needs to be full of worshipeprs to come alive), beer in Hotel Igazana and then home. Tina heading to Kigali for weekend (staying with Christina), Andy Crow coming down from Gikongoro Sunday to watch some football. Still no news on a house ........

Oh yes, met a really nice guy called Lambert (though Tina has spoken to him a lot more). He is a librarian in an American school and library here in Butare, fantastic English and has asked us to call in and see around the place!! Good to make friends!

Murabeho!



Thank you very much to all those who have supported my ongoing fundraising effort. I will be continuing my fundraising for VSO for a few more months so, if you would like to contribute, please go to www.mycharity.ie/event/ruairi.

No comments: