Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Final packing stages - where did all the time go?


Four-and-a-bit days left: at the moment my brother's sitting-room floor is completely covered in everything I am thinking of bringing with me as I try to shed some of the items to save weight (Alfred is relieved at finally being taken out of his suitcase!). I do seem to have packed an inordinate number of shirts so some of them will have to go. Knowing I will not have electricity makes me want to bring books but the weight!! I just got my sister-in-law to go down to Argos and buy a digital scales so I can weigh my luggage properly.

There was a brilliant post on the blog (mentioned in my blog entry of August 26th) about how you manage with limited water in Rwanda - that has helped a lot in deciding what to bring or not. Also, fewer electrical items. I see myself using more regular and fewer rechargeable batteries simply because I won't have the opportunity to recharge batteries. However, I kinda feel things are getting under control - I'm going to stuff EVERYTHING now into one bag and see how much it is; I'll let y'all know later how I got on!!

Finally, thanks to everyone who has been sending me messages of good luck and going-away presents. Sorry I haven't been able to call around to everyone who has invited me - between family occasions and radio interviews the time seems to have been swallowed up without my even noticing it (c.f. Raidió na Life Thursday 4th September 8.00 p.m. - 9.00 p.m. 106.4 FM - as Gaeilge!).


If you would like to contribute to my fundraising for VSO, please visit my site at www.mycharity.ie/event/ruairi and a huge 'Thank You' to all those who have already contributed!!

No comments: