Sunday, September 28, 2008

Thursday 25th September: Day Nineteen in Rwanda

Please note that VSO is in no way connected with or responsible for the content, comments and observations in this blog: these are solely my own in a personal capacity.

Another insanely boring day! We got up, had breakfast and then wondered what the hell we were going to do for the day. We had to get our English-Kinyarwandan vocabulary sheets copied for Ephraim in Gisagara so we deliberately walked to the farthest point of the town where we knew there was a photocopy shop just to kill time. We did find some interesting new places – a market, some wholesale shops and loads of places selling tiny dried fish which looked pretty revolting to be honest. There was also – wait for it – a macrobiotic food shop! Anyway, having done that we went back to the hotel and then decided to visit the Rwanda National Museum which is just outside Butare. Absolutely fantastic place, spent over two hours there, can’t recommend it highly enough. Pictures to follow once I get out to Gisagara and get a USB cable which is only one of the important things I forgot! Got quite burned as well because both my hat and my sunblock are ... guess where? back in Gisagara.

Anyway the rest of the day was pretty uneventful – back to hotel, two hours redesigning my website although it’ll probably be two years before I get to upload it and a beer in the hotel courtyard with Suzanne and her partner (Suzanne is from Canada and was with us in Kigali and has now arrived in Butare). Jane joined us later and Tina brought her up to speed with events (such as they are). Dinner here and then ... well, here I am typing more insanely ordinary facts – Alfred is right, it’s only because I don’t have anything else to do. Even my French grammar book and dictionary are out in Gisagara. Oh, one thing else – I bought a motorbike helmet so I can start getting some lessons ASAP. It’s not a great helmet – it’ll do for training and driving on ordinary roads but if I am going to do any offroad driving I’ll need something with added protection.

And as for Alfred’s point yesterday – yes, these blogs ARE too long and detailed; I think a bit of self-censorship is in order. So, interesting events and observations only from now on!!

OBSERVATION: Electricity.
Laptop, MP3 player, rechargeable torch, mobile phone, camcorder, Palm Pilot, eBook reader, PowerChimp recharger – it’s all a bit sad really. I’ll have to wean myself off this gadget-dependency! Mind you, I was typing up this blog last night and, after a while, I felt my fingers becoming tingly and rough on the surface of the laptop. Tried some moisturising cream, no effect. Then I realised I was actually getting an electric shock from the casing of the laptop because I had it plugged in while I was using it! Gotta be careful!!

Thank you very much to all those who have supported my ongoing fundraising effort. I will be continuing my fundraising for VSO for a few more months so, if you would like to contribute, please go to www.mycharity.ie/event/ruairi.

No comments: