Thursday, October 30, 2008

Thursday 30th October: Days Fifty-Four in Rwanda

Please note that VSO is in no way connected with or responsible for the content, comments and observations in this blog: these are solely my own in a personal capacity.

Woops, think I put the wrong dates on that last entry, but never mind, I’m sure all you really clever people figured it out. To continue Wednesday’s entry, I did meet up with Mike and his friend Robert Wilkinson, really nice guy. Turns out Robert remembers Kevin Kelly, the present Irish ambassador to Uganda, from when they worked briefly together in Save the Children. We had a really nice Chinese meal in the ... well, the Chinese Restaurant obviously and then watched Chelsea go 2-0 up on Hull City before calling it a night. There is now a 2-hour time difference between Rwanda and England so watching mid-week matches is a bit of an ask.

Woke up early this morning but again wondered if it was worth hauling my ass all the way out to Gisagara, not knowing who or what was there. Texted Francois but got no response. The exams were for three days so he should be back today – anyway, what the hell else was I to do so off I went. Found a moto driver on the main street but he couldn’t seem to understand the way I pronounced ‘Gisagara’: eventually one of the others explained to him (I need to stress the ‘i’ in the first syllable very slightly more, I think) and he dropped me there. Of course there was no Francois – the exams are still on: Monday was preparation day so they end today and he’ll be in the office tomorrow. Alexis had three other people working with him in the office so there was no way I could stay there. I wandered off down the village, had a brief look at my new-house-to-be (which has a particularly stunning view to the rear, hadn’t noticed that before) and then went to the District Office proper where I occasionally give my English classes. I have to confess that I was thinking of grabbing a moto back to Butare as they already have two English teachers for the two classes but I decided to check first what was going on. Long story short: ended up sitting on a bench in the entranceway from 11:00 – 3:00 reading MINEDUC policy documents to improve my French as one teacher was absent and they needed me to take the class and there was nowhere else for me to go.

The class was a bit of a shambles, a real making stuff up as you go along to keep them occupied. Teaching English is really not my thing but I’ll have two weeks in Kigali to source stuff, so I only have tomorrow to get through! They did get a great kick out of the ‘buzz’ game to practise their numbers (thank you, Sukey Chesterton, over there in The Gambia) so I’ll have to do more of that sort of stuff. Chatting to a few afterwards they were really pleased to hear that I was actually moving into Gisagara shortly and looked forward to many many long English conversations in the future! I just hope the other two teachers actually turn up tomorrow so we can plan a proper scheme of work for the next few months.

Back in Butare now, going to meet Jane Keenan and I think some of the other PHARE people for food and drinkies later. I brought the four cans of Guinness that Kevin Kelly gave me back from Gisagara as Jane has both a fridge and a freezer so I think it is time to broach them: otherwise I’ll have to drink them warm (yeuch!). I think I’ll head out to Gisagara a little later tomorrow – I need time to actually prepare a proper class for them! Grabbed a few samosas in the Faucon Supermarket and ate two – first food today and it is 1730 (sorry, had three bsicuits for breakfast) – so much for getting myself into some regular eating habits!! Keeping other three for breakfast tomorrow and will grab something for lunch on my way out to Gisagara.

Thank you very much to all of you who helped me to reach and exceed my fundraising total. I am continuing to fundraise for VSO for the next short while, so if you or anyone else you know feel like contributing , please go to www.mycharity.ie/event/ruairi. Murakoze cyane cyane!

No comments: