Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Tuesday 30th September: Day Twenty-Four in Rwanda


Please note that VSO is in no way connected with or responsible for the content, comments and observations in this blog: these are solely my own in a personal capacity.

Bloody cancelled! I got up early, got a moto out to Gisagara because I didn’t know where the bus left from only to find that Tuesday is a holiday (end of Ramadan) and everyone was off work (to be fair, Francois had texted me but – as had happened with my own texts the previous night – they had got delayed in the network). The meeting on Friday will be our big moment! Anyway, it was not a complete loss as I had brought my empty rucksack and was able to load up stuff to bring back to Butare (I am reminded of the opening chapters of ‘Robinson Crusoe’ where he swims backwards and forwards from the wrecked ship bringing what supplies he can). Called to the internet cafe on the way (which was closed as they are all Muslims) and what was next door – I mean right next door – but an optician! I’m pretty sure this isn’t the one I remembered but – hey – it’s an optician, so we can get Tina’s glasses fixed.

Studied French, Tina arrived back and we had lunch with Lambert (mentioned earlier, librarian at the American college) and a French-speaking friend of his, a nurse from the military hospital (I think – he spoke REALLY fast French and somewhat undermined my confidence as well as covering me in coleslaw due to his insistence on speaking loudly and eating salad at the same time). Lambert said he also knew of a house just up the road that might be available and said he would check after lunch. He had just had a visit from the new US ambassador that very morning so he was in a really good mood and I told him my story about the Irish ambassador in Kampala which he thought was very funny!

Tina rang Soraya in Gitarama and she is going up there for Monday and Tuesday next week to observe and help out with a workshop so that at least will be some more work-related stuff. I had been thinking of contacting Bruce Upton for the same reason but Soraya told us that sadly Bruce’s father had died and Bruce was heading back to England. Anyway, if anything happens with the house I want to be around here to move fast. We are supposed to be going to Lake Kivu this weekend to celebrate Amy’s 30th birthday so I hope that will still be possible.

Heading out for a walk and maybe dinner in the Chinese restaurant to cheer ourselves up. Might get some pictures of Butare as well to put up (there are a few on my website if you have a look – www.ruairioheithir.ie).

OBSERVATION: Tina and I had a serious discussion as to at what stage one would pull the plug on this placement if we feel it really isn’t working out. At least I have two years – Tina’s placement is for one year and almost one month of it is already gone. So far all VSO seem to have done (I say ‘seem’ as there may be more going on than we think, but there isn’t much sign of it) is ring and say vague words of encouragement: if they are putting pressure on the Distrcict it isn’t having any appreciable results. Indeed, both VSO and Francois seem to expect us to find somewhere for them – luckily I have made some contacts here who are trying to help us out. Again, one wonders about the planning and research that went into this placement as the logistical problems are so obvious – even when we do find somewhere here in Butare we still have to sort out how we get to and from the office. I suspect we may well end up working from home at least some of the time (which isn’t unusual, mind you) and I definitely need to pursue the motorbike idea (anyone looking for Christmas present suggestions .......).
Murabeho!

........................
Ended up having two beers in our favourite bar (see pictures, including President Kagame on the wall!) and heading for an early bed!

Butare Main Street


















Bikes, motos and buses as the market ends


























Hotel Ineza















Our cybercafe, Casablanca!



























The only bookshop in town!















Cathedral and palm trees
















Strange cactus-tree beside cathedral

















Main road from Butare to Gisagara – Avenue de la Cathedrale
















Hotel Igasaza – our favourite bar, with patrons and president!



















Sunset from the marketplace
.


Thank you very much to all those who have supported my ongoing fundraising effort. I will be continuing my fundraising for VSO for a few more months so, if you would like to contribute, please go to www.mycharity.ie/event/ruairi.





No comments: