Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Tuesday 21st to Wednesday 22nd October: Days Forty-Five and Forty-Six in Rwanda

Please note that VSO is in no way connected with or responsible for the content, comments and observations in this blog: these are solely my own in a personal capacity.

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!! Fundraising target reached and exceeded!! Huge thanks to everyone involved but especially to Muireann ní Mhóráin who raised over €2,000 for me at her 50th birthday party – maith thú a Mhuireann agus buíochas ó chroí chugat féin is do chairde ar fad!



I will keep the fund open for a few more weeks as some people told me they were doing stuff also but I will bring it to a close soon, so if anyone out there wants to contribute) or knows anyone else whose arm they can twist!) go for it!!

Meanwhile, I have been working away in the cell-like recess of my hotel room. Yesterday I had texted my boss to say could he pick me up on Wednesday morning so we could go out to the office together and have a proper planning discussion. He texted back immediately saying it was really important he see me Tuesday evening and it couldn’t wait until Wednesday. We fixed 1730 and ... guess what? No show, no text, nothing. I texted him again saying I would be there in the morning to be collected – again nothing! Aggghhhhhhhhhhhh! I spent yesterday ploughing through the statistical stuff and other things Mans gave me (including reading through about seven different MINEDUC policy documents but I’m afraid that today I actually played Civilization most of the day (until the hotel power went out – AGAIN!) and I was forced to move to the Internet cafe! I think tomorrow I am just going to get a moto out to his office and sit outside it all day if that is what it takes.

Having said that. the stuff Mans gave me is so good, I am actually able to start getting stuff ready even before meeting Francois so it isn’t a total loss, but that hotel room is beginning to seem awfully small!!

Jane is back down from Kigali tonight so I am calling over to her for dinner – be nice to see another face for a change!! Also VSO rang to confirm my name is down for motorcycle training starting Saturday 8th November – wish me luck!!



These are a few photos of my hotel room (12’ x 9’ or 4m x 3m, roughly) and me looking startled in my new Obama shirt!


















This is a typical meal (this is what I have for either lunch or dinner each day in the hotel – I never eat both) – kidney beans on rice, boiled potatoes, spaghetti with a little sauce, green beans and carrots, cabbage, spinach lookalike and some chips buried underneath the whole lot! The kidney beans are my favourite!! You can also have stewed sweet potatoes, mini-aubergines and fried plantain if you really want them! Stewed goat or beef are RWF200 per piece extra, boiled eggs RWF100!



Thank you VERY VERY VERYmuch to all those who have supported my ongoing fundraising effort. I will be continuing my fundraising for VSO for little while longer so, if you would like to contribute, please go to www.mycharity.ie/event/ruairi.

No comments: